Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Career Progression

From: "Matt Hargett" <matt () use net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:30:05 -0800

Training? I've heard of that... (c) The Reg. I even remember working
somewhere that paid for me to go on soul crushing Oracle App training
courses, waaay back in the mid 90s. They seemed to think they were doing
me
a favour - which is when I decided I had to get the hell out of Logica :)

Having said that I now work for a security firm and, well, let's just say
haven't had any training.

I guess I think about training as both a good thing and a bad thing
depending on how you view the world. (or how
you learn..)

The positive side of training is to remind yourself that you are teachable
and train-able, even if the information is
something you don't already know.

I agree. Generally when someone says they are above what most people would
consider to be useful training/school, I write them off as one of those
people who are so full of themselves that it makes me want to vomit. The key
there is the "most people would consider to be useful", which CISSP is not.
Then again, neither is MCSE but it helped me get my first few jobs when I
moved to California 7 years ago, and I actually learned a number of things
from that training. Contradictory or just confused? You decide ;)