Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Mentors

From: "Tri Huynh" <trihuynh () zeeup com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 20:10:52 -0800

Hi,

I agree that most 2600s today are full of kiddies (not all of 2600).
Ie, 2600 Boston used to be a hanging place for l0pht, cDc,... Last
time i went there, it is not that good anymore. Maybe it's just me...
However i heard Wiconsin 2600 is good.

I personally believe that most serious security reseachers, no matter what
color of their hats, do have a bunch of 0-days. Some may decide to publish
couple advisories of their collections for fame (maybe),  some decide
not to publish anything. But in a certain levels, most serious security
gurus
do hold some 0-days privately. However, i love to watch
the "new generation" of security gurus who post bugs in little unknown
software made by little unknown pop-and-mom companies. Not mentioning
about the clueless XSS advisories are posted everyday.

Neil, I strongly understand you. My background comes from a country
where highspeed internet just becomes popular in 2004 and books are
expensive like hell (rd, do you agree ?). My usual advice is to study
hacking,
you need to have your hands dirty and try things out. Books like "Hacking
the
art of exploitation", "Exploiting software...", "Shellcoder..." are very
helpful
but reading won't make you fully understanding until you sit down and do it.
A little bit of budweiser will help too. Playboy calendar may give you a
heat start
,but don't wear a shameless Dawson Creek Tshirt like Dave;-) Good luck !

Give me more Budweiser !

Trihuynh

"Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of
the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being
shared." - Dalai Dama