Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: MS Security Chief: Windows Never Exploited Until Patch Available

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:04:20 -0800

Dave Aitel wrote:

You have to wonder what it was he meant to say. Surely not what the
bbc is quoting him as saying. But I can't figure out what.

If I gave him maximum credit, I assume that what he was trying to say is that "bad guys" don't have exploits for Windows vulnerabilities before Microsoft is made aware of the vulnerability. Except once, so far as he is aware.

So far as I'm aware, he has green skin. My information might not be complete, though.

The article is so poorly written and full of factual errors, that it's hard to tell what the people being quoted meant to say.

I believe there are at least 4 occasions when MS became aware of a problem at the same time as everyone else, or after exploitation was taking place. It has happened much more than that, if you believe everything you read on various mailing lists.

                                                BB