Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Dreaming of Summer, IDS compromise, and other things

From: Rodney Thayer <rodney () canola-jones com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 13:19:38 -0800

I was involved in this year's and last year's IDS review for Network World.
Most of the IDS vendors we looked at had out of band management.  They also
tended to be fairly sloppy about how well they defended their management
interface -- they commit the usual sins (out of rev software, use of cleartext,
etc.etc.)  Therefore, the concept of compromising an IDS seems perfectly
reasonable to me.  The tap interfaces wouldn't work, but that doesn't matter
because those don't run TCP/IP, per se. And of course if they have a management
LAN, you would "only" have access to the other sensitive gear on the management
LAN, but that should be sufficient entertainment for many of you ;-)

And, just to make sure you know I'm trying to stay on topic, one of the
ways I now evaluate an IDS is to threaten to run Canvas against their
management interface, and measure how badly the vendor starts shaking ;-)