Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Dreaming of Summer

From: <ph00dy () hushmail com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 16:10:58 -0800

Hey *,
  Sorry to chime in on this so late, but I've been too busy to read email
as of late and couldn't resist on the reply. Ctf was a sysadmin contest.
Not by design of the contest as much as the scoring. The scoring focus
was on uptime instead of roottime(tm). Look at the results. Anyone who
was there will remember ceasar talking about how "sharkbait" had owned
* many times over and had thier flags all over everyone, but somehow
they got 3rd because the other teams had better uptimes. It's the ghetto
crew's deal so they can score it however they want (which was a mystery
to everyone watching the board as it went up and down for no particular
reason), but in my mind a contest of that nature should probably have
more focus on who's owning who and for how long and less on if your mudd
is up or not.

Also... no disrespect to anyone but I'd also like to say that my perception
of a "secured build" generally isn't one with sql injection vulns, bad
passwords, vulnerable applications, trojained binaries, and configuration
files with passwords sitting on the / of the webserver running on openbsd,
 but that is just me.

All that being said it was still fun.

ph00dy

Actually, that's very much what the game was like last year- They
gave
us
a relatively secured build with lots of insecure e-biz-type apps
running
on it. You got points for keeping them up for extended periods and
also
for
capturing and then keeping a service.

The games have been fairly interesting the last two years.