Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Gold Builds

From: David Maynor <dave () 0dayspray com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:17:34 -0500

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 15:31, Dave Aitel wrote:
This dilbert is security-industry aware!
http://www.comics.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert2003111108929.gif

Are you suggesting that security companies create problems? I would
never believe it.

Now, with bobsbagoffish.com, that's fine. What's a small or medium sized
company going to do except use off-the-shelf parts? They just want to
know how bad off they are. But with a larger client, the end goal should
be, I think, to get the client to change their process to force their
vendors to have third-party reviews of their components before they get
included in Gold Builds. Otherwise you may have built your entire system
on a vendor's products, before realizing they are completely impossible
to secure. I think it's a compelling thing to say "Listen, we'd love to
include your product in our Base Build, perhaps get a site license? But
before we do, we need to see a stamp of approval from one of these four
companies." Likewise, when deploying a giant web application, it often
makes sense to QA the third-party components of it before you QA your
entire finished product. In this case I also think a "stamp of approval"
is a good thing, since you can have your vendors get one while you're in
your planning process, which gives them time to fix their bugs by the
time you go live.

I have to agree with you. I use to work for a large company that built
our their webservers ontop of base builds from a hardware vendor. When
they got around to build their own image to ghost every incoming machine
with still included vendor utilities for hardware diag that were
remotely accessible.