Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Todd Miller Sudo local root exploit discovered by Slouching

From: Jann Horn <jannhorn () googlemail com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 20:13:07 +0100

Am Mittwoch, den 03.03.2010, 12:03 +0000 schrieb andy () hotmail com:
Hi Kingcope,

....but if the 'sudoers' file is correctly configured then you would not
have the appropriate sudo permission to run the 'sudoedit' as root.

....of course I'm assuming that the 'sudoers' file has not got the 'run
any command' in it.

If the sudoers file used is even the default then I would think you would
get some error on the lines of:

'Sorry, user is not allowed to execute './sudoedit test' as root on this
machine'.

Aren't you assuming the the sudoers file has a line in it that allows the
user in question to run the /home/myhome/sudoedit as sudo???

Or am I missing something?

Andy

He's talking about a bug in sudo that allows him to run anything named
"sudoedit" if he can run commands that are in an alias named "sudoedit"
in /etc/sudoers.

Jann Horn