Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Adgregate ShopAd widget validation is vulnerable to replay attack

From: Matthew Dempsky <matthew () dempsky org>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 00:21:53 -0700

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Matthew Dempsky <matthew () dempsky org> wrote:
As an update, since I submitted my first message, Adgregate changed
their validation mechanism.  The current method is still
intermittently vulnerable to replay attacks, but now there's actually
an expiration mechanism to deal with.

I've updated http://shinobi.dempsky.org/~matthew/adgregate.html to
handle the new validation mechanism.

It's basically the same as before, except every 5 minutes (aligned
with the hour) the (single, global) validation string changes.  You
can easily retrieve the current one using curl:

$ curl -e https://secure.adgregate.com/vid_m_widget.swf \
    https://secure.adgregate.com/validatewidget.aspx?wid=1
&validation=3F228F6F-6B30-4BB4-A7D0-EF5D7F4ABD54

I'll continue updating the above URL as they (hopefully) further
revise the scheme, but I'm going to refrain from spamming BugTraq
about it.