Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Microsot DID DISCLOSE potential Backdoor

From: Ken Schaefer <Ken () adOpenStatic com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 10:12:11 +1000

From the April 2008 MSRT EULA (which is the latest I have):

" However, Microsoft may collect and publish aggregated data about the use of the software."

For all we know, Microsoft includes a database of signatures of known malware files on the removal tool being handed
out to law enforcement, and that's the only information that's been handed over. Or perhaps Microsoft got the consent
of specific users to hand information over the 3rd parties? We don't know, because we don't have facts.

At the moment all you have is:
a) one PC World article that claims Microsoft has used information gathered from the MSRT in the tool handed to law
enforcement
b) even assuming that (a) is strictly correct, we don't know what information was actually used/included
c) and if the information is aggregate in nature (e.g. names and hashes of known malicious files) then it appears to be
within the scope of the EULA than end users agree to anyway.

The stuff about IP addresses, from my reading of the article, is information gathered by law enforcement whilst running
this new tool from Microsoft. Not information gathered from end users who are running the MSRT.

So, this is why I'm saying that your story's conclusions aren't supported by facts in evidence. At the moment it's all
speculation. It may, or may not, have happened. We just don't know from the information presented to date.

Cheers
Ken