Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: OpenID/Debian PRNG/DNS Cache poisoning advisory

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr () networkresonance com>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:20:15 -0700

At Fri, 08 Aug 2008 10:43:53 -0700,
Dan Kaminsky wrote:
Eric Rescorla wrote:
It's easy to compute all the public keys that will be generated
by the broken PRNG. The clients could embed that list and refuse
to accept any certificate containing one of them. So, this
is distinct from CRLs in that it doesn't require knowing
which servers have which cert...
Funnily enough I was just working on this -- and found that we'd end up
adding a couple megabytes to every browser.  #DEFINE NONSTARTER.  I am
curious about the feasibility of a large bloom filter that fails back to
online checking though.  This has side effects but perhaps they can be
made statistically very unlikely, without blowing out the size of a browser.

Why do you say a couple of megabytes? 99% of the value would be
1024-bit RSA keys. There are ~32,000 such keys. If you devote an
80-bit hash to each one (which is easily large enough to give you a
vanishingly small false positive probability; you could probably get
away with 64 bits), that's 320KB.  Given that the smallest Firefox
build (Windows) is 7.1 MB, this doesn't sound like a nonstarter to me
at all, especially since the browser could download it in the
background.

Updating the filter could then be something we do on a 24 hour
autoupdate basis.  Doing either this, or doing revocation checking over
DNS (seriously), is not necessarily a bad idea.  We need to do better
than we've been.

Yes, there are a number of approaches to more efficient CRL
checking, I think that's a separate issue.

-Ekr