Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gadu-Gadu Local/Remote Buffer Overflow vulnerability

From: gynvael () vexillium org
Date: 23 Nov 2007 21:30:49 -0000

I think you are still missing the point. Don't look at the bug like a bug in a text file, but rather than as a bug in
emoticons. Since Gadu-Gadu users do download whole emoticons sets and use them (for example from
http://www.emoty.com.pl/download,gadu-gadu,emoty,01.htm sorry, it's in polish).
Please imagine a situation when one of the emoticons sets on the website has a malformed emots.txt. The user does not
see the Text file, the user sees an emoticons set. He will extract it and the exploit will execute.
So we are talking about 'a emoticon sets' being an emoticons set, and not about text file being a configuration file.

Well, at least that is my point of view ;>
Best regards and thanks for your e-mail,