Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Standing Up Against German Laws - Project HayNeedle

From: Florian Echtler <echtler () in tum de>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 10:59:53 +0100

If I read the law correctly, it requires retention of "what IP
connected to another IP" and "which phone number called where." It
doesn't bother retaining the URL called (my German is rusty, so I may
be a little off in my interpretation). Connecting to a random IP on a
random open port (80 and 443, for example) would be a good start to
accomplish the goal creating chatter. The issue is that the search
terms to find those ports could lead to connecting to a site that
increases your profile against general background chatter, even as it
is raised with random connection traffic.
As a native German speaker, allow me to clarify: with respect to IP
communication, the law mandates saving the following information for 6
months:

- which customer was assigned which IP for what timespan
- sender mail address, receiver mail address and sender IP for each mail
- in case of VOIP: caller and callee phone number and IP address

So it wouldn't make much sense to create connection noise on a TCP or
HTTP basis, as this stuff isn't logged. I think one should rather
concentrate on generating email noise in this regard.

Yours, Florian