Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Retrieving "deleted" sms/mms from Nokia phone (Symbian S60)

From: Davide Del Vecchio <dante () alighieri org>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 21:58:41 +0200

3APA3A ha scritto:
Dear Davide Del Vecchio,

 It's also possible to recover deleted photos from almost any flash card
 in almost any device (camera, mobile, etc) - it's a way general purpose
 file  systems  work.  Requirement  to  delete  information  securely is
 enforced  in devices certified to e.g. process US military secretes. In
 this case, device must follow DoD 5220-22-M recommendations and you can
 expect  secure erase. In general purpose operation systems and devices,
 to    delete   information   securely   (wipe   it)   some   additional
 actions/utilities are usually required.

--Tuesday, May 15, 2007, 9:09:19 PM, you wrote to full-disclosure () lists grok org uk:

DDV> Hello list,

DDV> During some research, I found an intersting "feature"
DDV> on my Nokia mobile phone; I was able to retrieve any
DDV> apparently deleted sms/mms.

I completely agree with you.
Infact the news is how EASY is it to recover sms/mms deleted without
using any recovery tool (just using the PC Nokia Suite) and the aim of
my post was to increase the perception of the privacy risk on the mobile
devices.

I hope that after this post, Nokia people will think about introducing
more security features. Those actually are infact often reduced to just
a 4 digit number (the PIN).

I think the question is crucial and, I hope, finally clear.

d.

--
http://www.alighieri.org