Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] [WEB SECURITY] Persistent CSRF and The Hotlink Hell

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 18:09:46 -0700

He compromised the server(s) at the ad network we were using at the
time, and simply served up his ad instead of the usual ones.

                                        BB

Ryan Barnett wrote:
I believe that the SecurityFocus "defacement" by FluffiBunni a few
years back would be an example of the defacement attack that Michael
listed in his article.  The concept was that SF had a trust
relationship with the company that was rotating their banners and FB
replaced the expected image with the defaced one.  I don't remember
the exact details on how the banner images were fed in (vs.
Hotlinking, etc...)

Does anyone have specific info from that defacement?

Isn't this somewhat related to the same trust issues with RSS feed attacks?