Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ISA Server 2004 Log Manipulation

From: beSIRT <beSIRT () beyondsecurity com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 11:22:16 +0300

On Friday 05 May 2006 09:16, Steven M. Christey wrote:
There is a Log Manipulation vulnerability in Microsoft ISA Server
2004, which when exploited will enable a malicious user to manipulate
the Destination Host parameter of the log file.

We were able to insert arbitrary characters, in this case the ASCII
characters 1, 2, 3 (respectively) into the Destination Host parameter
of the log file.

Just to clarify - these are the ASCII *values* 1,2,3 (or: 0x01, 0x02, 0x03).
You can potentially insert any ASCII value you want using character encoding.

I'm curious about why you regard this as security-relevant.  I do not
know what you mean by "log manipulation".

You can insert the 'tab' value and possibly break 3rd party log analyzers.
Other interesting characters may be the EOF or EOD value, a "<" character for
CSS, and whatever else your heart desires.

As for the attack vectors, we think there's a lot you can do with being able
to inject practically arbitrary characters into a corporate firewall's logs,
but it's not our job to judge the severity of the problem, every ISA server
user should know if this is relevant for them.

- Steve

--
beSIRT - Beyond Security's Incident Response Team
beSIRT () beyondsecurity com.

www.BeyondSecurity.com