Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Cross Site Cooking

From: Tim Nelson <security () webalive biz>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:34:22 +1100 (EST)

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Glynn Clements wrote:

We are investigating ways to improve on this method, but as far as I can
tell, any improvement will require a coordinated effort by all the gTLD
and ccTLD registries.

Any improvement will require that browsers only pass cookies to
domains which are explicitly permitted by the setter, and pass the
setter domain to all recipients alongside the cookie. IOW, a protocol
change. Anything else is papering over the cracks.

What about using DNS records, either a new kind, or something TXT-based (like SPF). Maybe we could have it so that the domain owner could make an allow cookies record, with a list of matching domains, and if it doesn't exist, then the browser will only allow the cookie to be set for the full domain, not a subset of it.

        ?  :)

--
Kind Regards,

Tim Nelson
Server Administrator

P: 03 9934 0888
F: 03 9934 0899
E: tim.nelson () webalive biz
W: www.webalive.biz

WebAlive Technologies
Level 1, Innovation Building
Digital Harbour
1010 La Trobe Street
Docklands Melbourne VIC 3008

This email (including all attachments) is intended solely for the named addressee. It is confidential and may contain
legally privileged information. If
you receive it in error, please let us know by reply email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies. This
email is also subject to copyright. No
part of it should be reproduced, adapted or transmitted without the written consent of the copyright owner.

Emails may be interfered with, may contain computer viruses or other defects and may not be successfully replicated on
other systems. We give no
warranties in relation to these matters. If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email purportedly sent by
us, please contact us immediately.