Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: AOL Instant Messenger Version 5.9.3861 Local Buffer Overrun Vulnerability

From: Stan Bubrouski <stan.bubrouski () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 13:10:36 -0500

On the other hand I can't seem to reproduce the below-mentioned bug
either on win2k up2date with AIM 5.9.3861.

-sb

On 3 Feb 2006 02:28:56 -0000, shell () dotshell net <shell () dotshell net> wrote:
As I submitted to full disclosure:

"I have discovered that there is a buffer overrun vulnerability in AOL's Instant Messenger program. I have only
tested this on version 5.9.3861. The problem causes a minimum of a program crash. I am not sure as to the posibility
of shellcode execution.

The vulnerability can be exploited by supplying an overly large username from which to obtain "buddy info."

If you are unsure as to what I am talking about, I can post a screenshot."

Well, I made a Macromedia Captivate-made video of it. http://www.dotshell.net/aim.swf. What I am thinking is that a
program can be written to write an overlong string and shellcode to the address effected and execute the same
operation to leverage the problem.