Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Trend Micro's Vista "0day exploit auction" claim

From: Simple Nomad <thegnome () nmrc org>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:11:50 -0600

Uh, re-read my post. My point was that based upon somewhat recently
prices on XP exploits, $50k for a Vista exploit did not surprise me one
bit. Maybe not exactly the confirmation you or Roger were looking for,
but I've seen high 5 figure offers for XP exploits for a while, I've
heard of low 6 figure offers from multiple people I trust, and if I were
a bad guy selling 0day I would certainly expect to get a decent price
for Vista exploits -- particularly for non-client-side remote root.

What Trend Micro is reporting on (at least I think) is that there was an
individual or group that was offering up a 0day Vista exploit with a
price tag of $50k, which is currently being "confirmed and evaluated" by
a "trusted third party" (who will probably get a cut of the sale). Odds
are it will go for less. Joke about it if you like, but it is
practically 0bay out there. Some of the Russian boards are discussing
this, like "is it really worth it" and "could they get more". Based on
previous experience and the "talk on the street" (thanks to Google, and
the Beta Google translation from Russian to English) I'd say it is real.
IMO it is an attempt to drive up the price of future exploits.

Now are Vista exploits actually going for $50k? No confirmation there,
but someone is currently offering one for that amount, and it is
possible they will get that much or even more.

-SN