Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /dev/random is probably not

From: ChayoteMu <chayotemu () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 16:25:11 -0700

It's not necessarily the traffic itself, but aspects of the traffic.
Someone had mentioned that the timing between recieving the packets
was what's used, even if you see that it may change over the rest of
the wire and there's nothing to say that the system is using all the
traffic as the attacker sees it. Drop every 5th packet and hash the
result with the time and the attack doesn't have anything to work
with. Just because you can observe or control one aspect doesn't mean
you can observe/control the entire thing.