Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: gzip TOCTOU file-permissions vulnerability

From: psz () maths usyd edu au
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 10:29:21 +1000

Joey Hess <joeyh () debian org> wrote:

... really dumb idea to have a group/world-writeable directory
without the sticky bit.

It may be really dumb, but it's pretty common practice too. ...
Just a few examples within the Debian project ...

Kindly add the Debian example:

psz@pisa:/usr/local$ ls -ld .
drwxrwsr-x   10 root     staff        4096 Nov 13  2002 .

For Debian this is "mandated by policy":

The Debian Policy Manual [1] says:

  ... /usr/local take precedence over the equivalents in /usr.
  ... should have permissions 2775 and be owned by root.staff.

but it [2] also says:

  ... make sure that [it] is secure ...
  Files should be owned by root.root ... mode 644 or 755.
  Directories should be mode 755 or 2775 ... owned by the group that needs
  write access to it.