Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Followup: vuln in WinBlox monitor for winnt

From: "Oliver Lavery" <oliver.lavery () sympatico ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:35:49 -0500

        Most new programs aren't doing anything nearly this ambitious or
dangerous. A hole in a newly written program is bad, injecting a hole into
every program running on a system is absolutely horrible.

        Yeah, I agree, Liu Die Yu's vulns have been impressive. And this
approach to securing a system has a lot of potential benefits, but it also
has a lot of potential drawbacks. I didn't poke holes in it to be mean, but
because I think it's a really significant idea, and one that has to be done
right. It's seriously important that people don't go grabbing this thinking
it's a stable program that will cure the ills of Windows until it really
_is_.

        Let's see if this idea can reach fruition. It would be a shame to
blow it for everyone who's interested in the potential of this kind of
approach because of hyped up promises and premature code.

        Liu got what I was saying I think, and he's said he'd release the
code. So let the games begin ;)

Cheers,
~ol