Bugtraq mailing list archives

Eudora SPAM Issues..

From: ICI Security Team <Security () InfiniteConsulting net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:41:48 -0500

I have a client who is seeing large amounts of spam originate inside their organization. I have traced the spam to
Windows machines running Eudora 6.1.1 (latest) in paid mode. Apparently, spam messages come in, something is executed
in these spam messages, and copies/duplicates (with forged names/headers) immediately drop into the Eudora OutBox
(Messages waiting to be sent) to many users all located in the Eudora Addressbook of that particular computer.

We have scanned (in safe mode and regular) with Norton AV Corporate fully up to date, along with numerous spyware, malware,
adware scanners (Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3, CWShredder, Ad-Aware) all with up to date definitions, and have come up
with nothing.

It seems as though some sort of arbitrary execution of code within Eudora emails is automatically executed before the
Incoming SPAM is classified as such and moved into the JUNK folder.

Headers of the outgoing spam contain the following lines (other than forged from, reply-to, to, and subject):

The outgoing spam is not always the same, but is (I believe) based on the spam that comes in. We have seen Prescription
Drugs, Pornographic Sites, and other common SPAMs.

Is anyone else seeing this or can anyone provide any information? Any advise would be helpful. In the time being, I am
going to move those users to Thunderbird in efforts to stop originating spam.

Thanks

Brian T Luerssen
Infinite Consulting Inc.