Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Norton AntiVirus Denial Of Service Vulnerability [Part: !!!]

From: Bipin Gautam <visitbipin () hotmail com>
Date: 16 Jul 2004 15:13:56 -0000

there has been reports norton AntiVirus 2004 and norton AntiVirus 2005 (beta) is also prone to the exploit.

It's always hard to handle such tricks unless you specify a timeout value to scan a particular file. But, i doubt if
this the right way to handle any file!

even if we impliment signatures for archive bombs, there are 10's of possibility to make..... again something different
that the AV wont detect. )O;

bipin

Symantec is aware and currently investigating this issue.

Symantec Product Security Team
Symantec takes the security of our products seriously and is a
responsible disclosure company.  You can view our response policies
at http://www.symantec.com/security.
We will work directly with anyone who believes they have found a
security issue in a Symantec product to validate the problem and
coordinate any  response deemed necessary.

Please contact secure () symantec com concerning security issues with
Symantec products.