Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: MSIE Download Window Filename + Filetype Spoofing Vulnerability

From: "Drew Copley" <dcopley () eEye com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:04:10 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Polazzo Justin [mailto:Justin.Polazzo () facilities gatech edu]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 12:22 PM
To: Drew Copley
Cc: bugtraq () securityfocus com
Subject: RE: MSIE Download Window Filename + Filetype
Spoofing Vulnerability

Should you not be able to tile your gui any way you please?

You can title your UI anyway you please.

Someone may be thinking that you could put an image in front
of the security box in order to trick users into clicking on
"open" without knowledge. I noticed that you cant click on
the buttons when the image is in front of them.

I haven't checked out the new demo, but it is inconsquential,
you can totally change the contents of the window so that "No"
becomes "yes", or "yes" becomes "no", or whatever else. [By
stating, "Do Not Run This App", for instance, turns the positive
into the negative.]

"Close this window"?

"Yes".

Boom.

There are countless variations on this as you can put in there,
around there, all around anything you want.

It is a pain to make a really good demo, though, this is
why no one has probably messed with it. And, it is likely
too old for the current wave of criminals to get a handle
on it.

Well, not anymore. But, thankfully, Microsoft fixed this in
SP 2. Hopefully everyone else will get this fix in their
IE as well.

Would you be able to have an insane speed at which the object
moves over the buttons, or a  pulse action to where the image
would appear to be solid, but would still select "open" when pressed?

Yeah, you can probably flicker it and hide it as well.

Really, the exploitation is for an artist...

jp