Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: vulnerabilities of postscript printers

From: Elizabeth Zwicky <zwicky () greatcircle com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:21:52 -0800

I've never heard of anyone suggesting you could copy data
from one port to another, if only because there's no such thing as an
open file in postscript.

Sure there is. PostScript has all the standard file handling, among
other things for handling peripherals for font storage. Alas, I am
moving at the moment and don't have my PostScript manuals to hand,
but, for instance, I've written code that used PostScript filehandling
in GhostScript to modify files in a user's home directory, and code that
used the hard drive in a printer that had one for font caching. In general,
PostScript printers use PostScript as their underlying OS. It is
quite certainly a full programming language.

Of course if you had a postscript printer AND a the postscript cookbooks
you'd instantly get a better understanding.

Umm, apparently not. Although the PostScript manuals are handy, you
need to dig pretty deep into them to get to relatively little-used
commands.

        Elizabeth Zwicky
        zwicky () greatcircle com