Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: MS to stop allowing passwords in URLs

From: "Dave Warren" <dave.warren () devilsplayground net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:01:45 -0700

McAllister, Andrew wrote:
I certainly don't consider the "remember my password" functionality
nor stored cookies any more or less safe than this syntax.

Anyone have any comments regarding legitimate uses of this syntax and
Microsoft removing it from their browser? (and presumably the OS since
the browser IS the OS).

The safety concerns of http://user:pass@www aren't technical, they're
user/training issues..  How do you explain to your grandmother that
http://www.herbank.com:login.asp () session-arhuz ru/ isn't safe but
http://www.herbank.com/login.asp?arhuz.ru/ is okay?

The solution, in my opinion, would be to come up with a new notation that
doesn't break existing RFCs, but that still places the hostname first.

Something like http://www#user:password/path/file.cgi would be safer for the
common user, all they'd have to look at would be the first thing they see
after the http:// to determine if it is trusted.  Unfortunately, the next
step will be http://www.herbank.com.naughty-phish-scheme.com/ where
naughty-phish-scheme is something less suspicious.  Then we'll be right back
to where we started, and we'd still have broken or lost valuable
functionality.

It's probably too late, but rather then removing user:password support
altogether, maybe Microsoft could replace it with a dialog that informs the
user they are about to visit "session-arhuz.ru" with the username
"www.herbank.com", and an appropriate warning about not revealing sensitive
information, blahblahblah?

--
Dave Warren,
 Email Address:  dave.warren () devilsplayground net