Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Hysterical first technical alert from US-CERT

From: Philip Rowlands <phr () doc ic ac uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:27:36 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Larry Seltzer wrote:

I just got the alert below from US-CERT. It's one of the new lists they
started. Some things about it bother me.

First, it's dated 1/28, the day MyDoom.B was discovered, and the
message sent field says that too; other dates in the headers disagree.

Second, and more to the point, it takes an extreme view of MyDoom.B
that nobody else is supporting, including the sources they cite.
MyDoom.B is a flop.

Am I misreading something? Did anyone else get this on 1/28?

Yes; everyone subscribed to the [Carnegie Mellon] CERT/CC list. It's
been swallowed by US-CERT:

http://www.cert.org/advisories/us-cert-announcement.html

however...

"significant changes to CERT Advisories that will not only maintain the
accuracy and fairness that are the hallmarks of CERT Advisories, but
will also provide more information about more topics than before"

and

"We will maintain the same high quality control standards, edit content
for security and privacy, and work to ensure technical accuracy as well
as timeliness."

Thank DoHS for that!