Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: http://www.smashguard.org

From: Leon Harris <leon () quoll com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:26:29 +0800

Interesting paper.
Certain apps (notably java virtual machines) manipulate stack return addresses. I understood that one of the advantages of Immunix's product StackGuard was that you could still run these types of apps by statically linking them against a normal libc (and chrooting them or otherwise confining them). If the protection is mandatory, and in hardware, then surely these types of app wont work.

Cheers,
Leon