Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: SideFind

From: "Polazzo Justin" <Justin.Polazzo () facilities gatech edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 14:53:09 -0400

Welcome to the world of Malware. There are many IE flaws that allow for the installation of spy/mal/ad :ware.

Either disable install on demand, apply XP SP2, or switch them to Mozilla to prevent future installs of this type.

Making HKLM\Software|Microsoft|Windows|CurrentVersion|Run read only via regedt32 will help as well.

Also install spybot (freeware from security.kolla.de, downloadable from download.com) version 1.3 _with_ tea timer,
which will protect your system settings and notify you if one is changed. Convince the user that No is his favorite
button to click on as well :)

HTH

jp