Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: sql injection in phpbb

From: <telli () codezwiz com>
Date: 10 Nov 2003 18:46:02 -0000

Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 20:39:49 +0100
From: Marius Kaase <marius () kaase net>
To: jocanor jocanor <jocanor2002 () hotmail com>
Cc: bugtraq () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: sql injection in phpbb

jocanor jocanor wrote:

I found a vulnerability en phpbb 2.0.5 and prior, is probably also affect 2.0.6

this bug don't affect to version 2.0.7

phpbb have a list of registereds users, when you click on a memebr of this list, you are requesting data to the
database

for example:

http://www.example.com/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2

this url show the information to the user with the uid = 2, the uid is a number assigned to users in phpbb.

but it isn't secure, because if you use this url, you can inject sql comands...

exploit:

http://www.example.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u='[sqlcode]

where [sql code] represents the code may be injected.

Does not affect 2.0.6.

This code prevents it:

function get_userdata($user, $force_str = false)
{
global $db;

if (intval($user) == 0 || $force_str)
{
$user = trim(htmlspecialchars($user));
$user = substr(str_replace("\\'", "'", $user), 0, 25);
$user = str_replace("'", "\\'", $user);
}
else
{
$user = intval($user);
}

(Taken from: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=848495)

--

Kind Regards
Marius Kaase

"If the Phone Doesn't Ring, It's Me"

Ok now where exactly would one include this information to tighten the security? After going through all profile pages
(running 2.0.6) I found nothing like this Are we sure it is included in 2.0.6? I think if the files that need to be
fixed can be listed we can start to work on this fix.

Telli