Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: CSS found in Movable Type

From: Jordan Wiens <jwiens () nersp nerdc ufl edu>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 16:25:36 -0400 (EDT)

After taking a bit closer look at it, it appears that this is likely
result of the option:

"Allow HTML in comments?"
(Select Weblog Config / Preferences, scroll towards the bottom)

The default is for that option to be disabled.

Additionally, perusing the mt.cfg file yields the following:

# By default, Movable Type cleans up ("sanitizes") any data submitted by
# visitors to your site. This is done to remove any code (HTML or otherwise)
# that could compromise the security of your site. The sanitization code works
# by only allowing certain HTML tags--any other tags, and all processing
# instructions (PHP, for example) are stripped. The GlobalSanitizeSpec
# setting, then, specifies the tags and attributes that are allowed. The
# default setting is "a href,b,br/,p,strong,em,ul,li,blockquote".
#
# GlobalSanitizeSpec br/,p

It seems that only by changing those two options could an installation be
vulnerable to javascript cross-site scripting, though I could be wrong.

--
Jordan Wiens
UF Network Incident Response Team