Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Check Point FW-1: attack against syslog daemon possible

From: "Dr. Peter Bieringer" <pbieringer () aerasec de>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:59:49 +0100

Hi again,

now we are finished the investigation of FW-1 4.1 (SP6) with following result:

In our lab the syslog daemon of Check Point FW-1 4.1 didn't crash in case of sending "/dev/urandom" via "nc", but this floods the log without any rate limiting.

Also the syslog messages were not filtered.

Note also that that improving the ruleset didn't help in cases where trusted and untrusted nodes are sharing the same network, because in UDP packets the sender IP address can be spoofed (successfully tested with "sendip" against FW-1 4.1).

To avoid spoofing, only MAC based ACLs on gateways (if available) will help or establishing a dedicated (V)LAN for trusted sources only.

We've updated our advisory once again:

http://www.aerasec.de/security/advisories/txt/
checkpoint-fw1-ng-fp3-syslog-crash.txt
http://www.aerasec.de/security/advisories/
checkpoint-fw1-ng-fp3-syslog-crash.html

Hope this helps,
        Peter
--
Dr. Peter Bieringer                             Phone: +49-8102-895190
AERAsec Network Services and Security GmbH        Fax: +49-8102-895199