Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Another Mac OS X ScreenSaver Security Issue (after Security Update 2003-07-14)

From: Barry Fitzgerald <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:06:51 -0400

MightyE wrote:

If anything I'd call this a security consideration of Escape Pod. Perhaps Escape Pod should try to talk to the process it's about to kill, and get its 'permission' for killing, and failing a timely response (2 secs?), drop the program. ScreenSaverEngine would have to be tailored to respond to such a request.

On Linux, doesn't xscreensaver run as root? Wouldn't this be another option here (I'm admittedly unfamiliar with Mac OS X), preventing Escape Pod from even being capable of terminating the screensaver process? Or does Escape Pod also run as root?

If you ask me, Escape Pod owes it to their users to develop the product in such a way so to not nullify reasonable security measures on the part of the OS, even if that's an option to never terminate processes named ScreenSaverEngine.

-MightyE

You read my mind on this one. However, one of the complaints I've heard about having xscreensaver as a SUID root binary is that an exploitable vulnerability (buffer overflow, et al) in the xscreensaver binary could allow an attacker even greater elevated priviledges (much worse than simply killing ScreenSaverEngine)... a solution to this would be running the ScreenSaverEngine SUID some other user (like, oh, maybe "screensaver")... and that should stop a usermode program from killing the screensaver. Unless, as you mentioned, that usermode program were running as SUID root - in which case I'd have to ask: Why in the name of $DEITY are you running a program that can kill any process on the screen as root?!?

      -Barry

p.s. I don't have a Mac OS X system on hand nor do I have access to one. I have no way to test the plausibility of this solution on that particular system. :)