Bugtraq mailing list archives

Websense Blocked Sites XSS

From: "Mr. P.Taylor" <petert () imagine-sw com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 11:35:39 -0500

Websense Blocked Sites XSS

Risk: High

Product: Websense Enterprise v4.3.0 - v5.1 (Maybe others we only
tested this version)

Product URL: http://www.websense.com

Found By: PeterT - petert () imagine-sw com

Problem:
When Websense blocks a web site, it returns a web page to the browser
stating
that the site has been blocked. This error message contains the URL which
was
requested. Websense does not do any validation or encoding of the URL before
returning it in the error message. This allows an attacker to supply a URL
that
contains script <JavaScript, ActiveX, VB). This script will run in the