Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Password Security Policy Question

From: bugtraq () applied-knowledge net
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:57:15 -0400 (EDT)

There are a couple of issues to consider here.  Mathematically, it is a
weaker password because you limit yourself to ten possible characters as
one of the characters in the password string and it's a simple
combinatorics exercise to figure it out.

For example, if we limit ourselves to printing ASCII characters (94 of
them if I counted correctly) as the set of all possible password characters
and assume the use of an eight character password we have 6095689385410816
possible combinations (94^8.  If we limit one character of the password
string
to be a numeral though, we only have 648477594192640 possible
combinations.  By not limiting one character to being a numeral you
achieve 9.4 times the number of possible combinations.

Added to this are your other concerns.  If one particular position in the
string is required to be the numeral then there will be less guess work
involved as opposed to at least one position (any position) being a
numeral.  For that matter, the number of possible password combinations
goes down even more dramatically if you only allow one position to be a
numeral (295090346557440 combinations).  Remove non alpha-numerics and it
is further reduced.  You see where this is going.

A softer side to this is that users will often increment the numeral
making it fairly easy for an attacker to guess.  Or maybe the numeral
corresponding to the calendar month is always used.  So on and so forth

Chris