Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Bypassing the Finjan SurfinGate URL filter

From: "Menashe Eliezer" <menashe () finjan com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 02:51:10 +0200

Marc,
Your issues have been escalated to me for resolution. I apologize for any
delay; it is always our intention to respond immediately to any customer or
product-related issue. Apologies aside, I would like to address the issues
you brought up with regard to the Finjan SurfinGate URL List feature.

SurfinGate’s help file makes the following statement regarding the intended
usage of the URL List: "The URL filtering feature is intended for use as a
white list solution, and allows the entry of active content from trusted
sites that may contain code that otherwise violates the organization's
security policy. It can also be used to block known hostile sites, but from
a security point of view, the URL filter has a limited assurance level for
actual code blocking. It is not recommended to trust this list as a strong
black list."

Finjan positions the URL List as a content management feature that gives
system administrators the ability to make security policy exceptions in
order to allow trusted content.  However, the URL List was not designed to
be a strong black list, and that is why the help file currently does not
recommend it for this purpose.  These are known issues. Our proactive
products are based on patented technologies, and the security doesn't
depend on managed lists.
Having said that, we WILL address the matter in an upcoming release as
content management issue. In fact, in April of this year, Finjan announced a
licensing agreement with SurfControl, the URL filtering company. In future
versions of SFG, the SurfControl URL categorization component will be
integrated with SFG for security purposes. This component will not allow
this type of exploit.

Thank you for your interest in Finjan Software and the SurfinGate family of
products. It is our mission to provide the most robust, proactive content
security solutions available in the market. I also thank you in advance for
your patience.  For any future issues, please address them directly to
mcrc () finjan com or support () finjan com as the info () finjan com mailbox is more
of a general marketing communication mailbox.

Ken,
Thank you for your posting.

Regards,
Menashe Eliezer