Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Bind 8 bug experience

From: Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:57:12 -0600

Once upon a time, Michael Brennen <mbrennen () fni com> said:
Three bugs in bind 4 and 8 were announced this morning, November 12.
At least one has the possibility of arbitrary code execution, and
the ISC web site lists it as 'Serious'.

At 13:02 CST this afternoon per the ISC announcement, about an hour
after receiving the bug announcement, I requested bind 8 patches
from Lynda McGinley, Executive Director of ISC.  I received a
response from her roughly 8 hours later this evening that I had been
added to the patch announce list.  My thanks to Lynda for that, but
she did not give direct information on where to get the patches, and
I have received nothing from the patch announce list.  I don't know
when I can expect to receive anything -- tonight, next week, or next
month?

I also (per the announcement from ISC) emailed Lynda McGinley requesting
patches.  I never received a response.  I kept watch on the ISC web site
and downloaded the patch last night (the file timestamps in the patch
are all Oct 30 2002, so the patch was ready in plenty of time).

We cannot upgrade some of our servers to BIND 9 because it (in my
experience and in the experience of others) is not stable on Compaq/HP
Tru64 Unix.  Repeated messages on the BIND mailing list by myself and
others have been ignored (except by other Tru64 users with the same
problems), so as far as I know, no work is going on to fix BIND 9 on
Tru64.  We either run BIND 8 or don't run BIND (and despite the work
involved in switching, running something other than BIND is looking
good).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams () hiwaay net>