Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Bypassing website filter in SonicWall

From: "Brian J. Gaia" <bjgaia () PerfectAngel org>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 22:47:56 -0500

That weakness would exist in any product that filters by domain name,
because many of them will not perform a reverse DNS lookup. This would be
the behavior of most home products (such as Cyberpatrol) which allow an
administrator to specify forbidden domains, but if I wanted to see the site
bad enough I would just ping/tracert/etc to get the IP address. In most
cases the filter will not capture the IP address because all the admin knew
to enter was the domain name.

SonicWall could (and should) resolve this by adding Reverse DNS lookup to
the Forbidden Domains list. That would possibly slow down Internet traffic
on the LAN side but the admin could disable it if they wish. Also if the
reverse DNS fails it could give the admin the option to block the site or
allow it anyway.

Brian J. Gaia
Print Shop & Information Systems Assistant
Webmaster, Pure and Undefiled Religion (PURE)
Church of the Open Door