Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Gimp: Erased sections of images print in some cases

From: Elio Grieco <grieco () egx com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:30:02 -0700

I saved the image from the link provided and opened it in several programs, here are the results:
   Apple's Preview - The erased portion was transparent as expected.
Macromedia's Fireworks MX - The erased portion was transparent as expected. Macromedia's Freehand 10 - The erased portion of the image appeared as black. Lemke Software's GraphicConverter - The entire original image was present. Preview directly in the OS X Finder - The entire original image was present.

I'd suggest actually "erasing" the image data rather than modifying the alpha channel. When you modify the alpha channel you are just adding transparency information to the image rather than deleting information. It is then up to the program that reads the file as to how it interprets the transparency info generated.

Two other points to consider:
1. Make sure the image is "flat", i.e. it has no layer data or only 1 layer. 2. Make sure that the program you are using does not leak any sensitive information into any tags within the image, e.g. EXIF data in JPEGs. (If I remember right Fireworks stores quite a bit of data within the PNG files it generates)

Definitely worthy of note if you are sending images to untrusted parties or posting them publicly.

    Elio Grieco