Bugtraq mailing list archives

privacy issues in metor.com (a search engine)

From: Tom Micklovitch <h_bugtraq () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 01:57:05 -0800 (PST)

I was justr checking the stats to my homepage,
and I saw this URL:

http://www.metor.com/[91CB-0154-21F0]/se/results

if you go there, you can see what was searched
for. I have verified this, check out:

http://www.metor.com/[91DE-056F-8A93]/se/results

You'll see I typed "I search for this"

On an interesting side-note, this could be an
anonymous communication route - I've just left
you a message that no-one can access unless they
have the number-code between the square brackets.

If there was some way to predict the next numbers
in the sequence, you could trawl through for the
next reply (say by always using "plipflop" in the
replys, simply sequence through the next numbers,
looking for "plipflop")

anyway, that's all.

User24

=====