Bugtraq mailing list archives

zlib & java

From: Darren Reed <avalon () coombs anu edu au>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 02:29:25 +1100 (Australia/ACT)

Back in Java 1.1, zlibc was visibly part of the source tree for java.
More recent versions of Java seem to make the java.util.zip from .java
files but use a JNI (Java Native Interface) for the actual implementation.
e.g. there's a class called:
java.util.zip.GZIPIntupStream

Does anyone know what the implications of this are?  The real issue here
appears to be what sort of memory management (malloc/free) java uses for
the JNI code.  (I've neither had the time to test or look more deeply
into this.)  If a native malloc/free is being used (as opposed to the
standard java object management), is the sandbox at risk here?

Well, aside from meaning we need a new jar for java.util.zip if the zlib
code there is buggy :)

Darren