Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: remote DoS in Mozilla 1.0

From: Stijn Jonker <SJCJonker () SJC nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 15:05:31 +0200 (CEST)

Hello all,

The one think that keeps popping up in my mind after reading your post:

Is this really a mozilla bug?

My answer:

No, because try and font of the size 1666666px in gimp on the same system,
the symptoms and the end effect is exactly the same here.

System: RH 7.3
        512 M memory
        1024M Swap
        Xfs & XFree86 4.2.0

What happens is that XFS consumes huge amounts of ram, and finally bails
out. So end of story for the fonts in X. As a result X is practicly
useless.

I can only guess what happens when you don't use XFS but Xserver based
fontrendering, the X server consumes huge amounts of mem and cpu and bails
out => server crash => Bye Bye X.

The solution(s):
        (a) Fix every app to disallow font sizes bigger then <maxvalue>
        (b) Fix XFS to return an error code to the calling application
when requested font size is greater then configured <maxvalue>

Personally i would go for b.

Just my $0.02, but is you disagree please let me know.