Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IGMP denial of service vulnerability

From: Marty Schoch <mschoch () multicasttech com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:41:22 -0400

I agree with everything you've said.

But my point really was geared to, what does the spec say, and how do router
implementations handle things.

To quote RFC 2236

- "send report" for the group on the interface.  The type of report
  is determined by the state of the interface.  The Report Message is
  sent to the group being reported.

I think a router COULD reject an IGMP membership report for group G1 that
was actually delivered on group G2.  I don't know that any do, but that
would seem to still be a compliant implementation.

If a router were to implement this policy, then the host implementations
must implement an equally strict policy, or else a DOS scenario can arise.

I recommended that the host implementation be modified to implement this
more strict check because the only negative side effect would be a few extra
membership reports and leave messages.

Otherwise, perhaps it should be documented that it really doesn't matter to
what group membership reports are destined to.  That would seem to correctly
characterize current host/router implementations.

Marty Schoch
<mschoch () multicasttech com>