Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Pine 4.33 (at least) URL handler allows embedded commands.

From: zen-parse <zen-parse () gmx net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:05:15 +1300 (NZDT)

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Michal Zalewski wrote:

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, zen-parse wrote:

Problem:            URL handler allows embedded commands.
                    May allow email viruses of the Outlook kind.

  http://address/'&/some/program${IFS}with${IFS}arguments&&apos;

Isn't that old news? http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/810

I *can* be wrong, but it looks like it is the same problem...

Not quite, but it seems to be a related problem (ie caused by the shell
parsing what it was given).

There is some checking for metacharacters done, and if it has any, it puts
a single quote around them. However it doesn't check for another single
quote.