Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: user-mode-linux problems

From: Ajax <ajax () firest0rm org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:13:25 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Andrew Griffiths wrote:

Program: User-mode-linux
Version tested: patch-2.4.17-8 [ I assume all previous versions would be ]
Not vulnerable: patch-2.4.17-9 [ Haven't tested any different techniques.]

Now for something completely different. Anything in []'s is my comments to
my article... deal with it.
<snip>

A user proccess can write into kernel memory, which will allow a person
to get root inside the uml "box", and the possibility to break out of
the uml "box", into the real one.

This can happen even if the jail and honeypot options are turned on. [
Though I suspect the version i was testing was half-way through
implementing them ]

you're right about the "half-way through" bit.  2.4.17-9um is much better
in this respect.

the honeypot option explicitly *reduces* security:

/usr/src/uml/linux$ ./linux --help | grep -A 3 honeypot
honeypot
    This makes UML put process stacks in the same location as they are
    on the host, allowing expoits such as stack smashes to work against
    UML.
/usr/src/uml/linux$ ./linux --version
2.4.16-2um

as of 2.4.17-9um, the "honeypot" option turns on the "jail" option; thus
the most secure setup is to run uml with "jail" and not "honeypot".

also, running uml itself within a chroot, as its own UID, and with no
capabilities, quite effectively limits the damage an attacker can do in
breaking the uml container.  but you all knew that already.

-=:[ ajax (firest0rm)