Bugtraq mailing list archives

DW020203-PHP clarification

From: Dave Wilson <dw () dahomelands net>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 22:17:16 +0000

Hi,
I have had many, many mails telling me this is not a problem when
file_priv = 'n' for the connecting user. This is not true. file_priv seems
to only affect server-based file operations, and thus does not interrupt
the operation of LOAD DATA LOCAL (note the LOCAL).

A patch to fix this problem was posted to php-dev, if you might be affected, a
fix is available. Another fix might be to just use proper filesystem perms on
your servers in the first place..

mycgiserver.com have a nice way of disallowing viewing of other's homedirs,
each user recieves an md5 hash, which is used when creating their
document_root, like so:

/web/<hash>/root

With /web being executeable only. This effectively disallows access to other's
document roots without a key (the hash).
</rant>

-dw