Bugtraq mailing list archives

Vulnerability in all versions of DCForum from dcscripts.com

From: shimi <shimi () jct ac il>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 14:15:44 +0200 (IST)

When a user requests a new password for his account, a new password is
generated and sent to the requester (anyone that knows the username+email
information, which is usually available in "user profile").

The problem is that the password is simply the first 6 characters of the
user's SessionID, which is, of course, known to anybody who knows how to
see a value in a cookie.

Hence every user in the world can come to the board, request a new
password for someone, and then login with that username + 6 first
characters of the SessionID from the cookie.

The author has been notified (by me), and even released a patch, but, as
it appears, didn't bother saying that here, where most of the world will
be reading it, so I decided to do it myself.

Here's my post:
http://www.dcscripts.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=read_count&om=1198&forum=dcfBug

And here's the patch:
http://www.dcscripts.com/bugtrac/DCForumID7/3.html

  Best regards,
     Shimi

----

   "Outlook is a massive flaming horrid blatant security violation, which
    also happens to be a mail reader."

   "Sure UNIX is user friendly; it's just picky about who its friends are."

    Sign that you downloaded Linux from a bad source:
    "My compiler keeps hanging on NSABackdoor.h !!!"