Bugtraq mailing list archives

INCIDENT: WebCertificate.com hacked

From: "Simon Gales" <simongales () home com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 07:57:40 -0500

I received the following email this morning (appropriately cleansed):

Dear Simon Gales

I hate to inform you that your account
has been hacked on webcertificate.com and
ecount.com. These sites have very weak
security protection system and the database
with credit cards and other personal information
is not protected at all. Your personal details:

123 Spartacus lane
Cary IL 23456 US

Your credit card information:

1111111111111111
expiration time:  10/11/12 1:23:45 PM

We offered them our help many times. But top
management of webcertificate.com and ecount.com
don't care about their customers - you. They
care only about their money.

zilterio
www.zilterio.com

I've notified privacy () webcertificate com and VISA, and am awaiting their
response.

Since they've apparently already been informed (albeit in a questionable
manner) and customer information already disclosed, I felt it appropriate to
forward this on to BugTraq.

Related: http://www.ecommercetimes.com/perl/story/13147.html

Administrivia - the FAQ link sent in the WELCOME email after subscribing to
BugTraq is incorrect (http://www.securityfocus.com/forums/bugtraq/faq.html)
and yields a 404 error.  Also, the address for submitting email to the
BugTraq mailing list could be made a little clearer in that Welcome email.

-Simon