Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Apache suexec

From: Pavel Kankovsky <peak () argo troja mff cuni cz>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:33:16 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Stefanos Harhalakis wrote:

 Suppose we have mingid==100 and a user with gid==0 which belongs to groups
123,234,345. Suexec will no execute and script for this user.

 Now suppose we have the same user with gid==123 which belongs to groups0
,234,345. Suexec will execute any cgi without problem. The running cgi will
be a member of all those groups.

suexec does not check supplementary groups. It could do it but I do not
think it is a serious problem--the motivation behind the checks is to
avoid accidental invocation of CGI programs running under root or other
special accounts.

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."